Friday, May 3, 2013

Simple DIYs for the home :)

I've been super busy with moving, unpacking, settling in, school, visiting back home, etc. but I've been able to put up some of my decorations that I've made in the past. They are all super simple and nothing really new or groundbreaking. But I did them myself and they work great for me :)


Here we have this wonderful teapot message board! I just bought the cut out at Michael's, sectioned off where I wanted the chalk board with tape, painted the chalk board then painted the rest!

In that little bottle is lemon essential oil and water. It's my "spider-be-gone" spray. Apparently spiders don't like lemon, if they step in it they'll go away. So it won't kill them, just keeps them away :) Funny story (kinda): Last summer I was getting mosquito bites ALL OF THE TIME. Like for months, I would always have a little bump somewhere on my body from a spider! Sometime's I would have 3 or 4 bites at a time. Horrible. But then I started using this spray and no more bites! Magic.

That jar is my happy memory jar. Very simple concept: if something makes you happy, write it on a paper and put it in a jar. Doesn't even have to be a jar, could be a box, an envelope, an old mug, anything! I started this at the beginning of the year and will look at all the happy memories in December! I think it's a great way to start teaching yourself to count your blessings, to stay positive, to look on the bright side of things, and all that good stuff. For mine I painted dots on it and then with a hot glue gun wrote "Lovely moments in 2013" in cursive and while it was still wet, I sprinkled glitter on it :)


I looovveee how these magnets turned out! I took cardboard (from the packaging of tea), painted a couple coats of paint on it, wrote random silly words on it with a permanent marker, then added a coat of mod podge then glued on a magnet on the back! So simple! But so cute and practical! 



For these organizing jars I just took pretty pages out of Seventeen magazine, taped the ends together to form a loop/tunnel, then stuck them in a jar! Really great for storing makeup brushes and other toiletry type items :)



I thought this was a perfect eyeliner holder. Or at least really really great considering how simple it is. I took an old can with a pretty label and added tissue paper at the bottom. It's perfect because it's pretty, and can hold all my eyeliner vertically. I always store my eyeliner that way so the liquid liner doesn't pool in the lid. It also keeps them falling over so easily! Before I had them all standing up, but then they'd all fall every time I reached for one.

And that's it for now! As you can tell (and as I said before) these are all super simple, and I bet you've seen these before. But they're all cute and super versatile! 

Hope you have a good weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment